Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Library 2.0

I read all of the suggested articles, and many of the blog comments, with a great deal of interest. That is not to say that I agree with many of the assertions - however, I recognize in myself a certain scepticism and reluctance to jump into new things (especially only because they are new). I wholeheartedly agree that as librarians we need to be conversant in popular culture - however I think the immersion in the tech world has been overstated by those who gleefully embrace the new for it's own sake. One article argued that as their circulation had dropped by 55% over the past several years, the whole model of libraries (and owning of books and reference sources) should be changed. I do not believe HCPL has experienced such a drop in circulation, and from my own (admittedly unscientific) vantage point on the reference desk, I see that many patrons want what we are offering (books and access to subscription reference materials). That is not to say that we cannot continue to improve and "keep up" with technology - we absolutely should. I just do not see the clamoring for collaborative collections that Library 2.0 presupposes. As the parent of 2 college-aged children (son and daughter) I also do not observe among them or their friends the intense obsession with using the web for continuous self expression. They know how to use, but it is a tool for schoolwork, or a toy to spend a bit (not huge chunks) of time. They do assume that nearly anything should be online in some form.

I guess the viewpoint closest to my own is the article by Dr. Wendy Schultz "To a Temporary Place in Time". As in my earlier posting, I believe people are looking for community, a connection, and the "experience" of a library. I don't believe I am unique in enjoying the experience of actually holding a book in my hand - and I also don't think that is entirely a function of my age, although it may certainly be a factor. There is a blog posting under the article "11 Reasons Why Library 2.0 Exists and Matters" by tangognat which perfectly sums up my thoughts thus far. Essentially, it states that the average library patron is more concerned with mundane matters like library hours and book collections (and alas, DVDs) than with social software.

No comments: